Guide to Heating and Cooling Your Small Space
It’s hard to imagine the days before almost every building had heating and cooling to create a pleasant indoor environment. However, a central HVAC system may not be the most efficient or cost-effective method for regulating the temperature in small spaces.
Luckily, there are plenty of heating and cooling options for small spaces. Here are some products you can use to control the temperature in your home or room, along with tips to stay comfortable without central heating and air conditioning.
How Do You Cool and Heat Small Spaces?
Thankfully, many solutions are available to meet your small space’s needs. Here are the top five heating and cooling units for small areas.
1. Mini-Split Heating and Air Conditioning Systems
A mini-split unit is one of the most popular HVAC systems for small spaces. Ductless mini-split systems consist of two parts — an outdoor condenser and an indoor unit. These systems are standard in multi-family housing units because they allow temperature control in individual rooms. You can purchase a multi-zone mini-split system to heat and cool your small home, or choose a singular unit to control the temperature in one room. The advantages of mini-split systems include the following.
- Ductless: Mini-split systems are easy to install because they don’t require ductwork. Additionally, you won’t experience the ductwork-related energy loss forced-air systems do.
- Flexible and space-saving: You can mount your unit on your wall or ceiling, so it doesn’t take up precious floor space.
- Energy-efficient: Each unit has separate temperature settings to accommodate different comfort preferences. If you don’t want to heat or cool an unoccupied room, you can turn that unit off, increasing your energy efficiency.
- Quiet operation: These units make little noise when operating.
2. Heat Pumps
Heat pumps are two-way systems that cool air in summer and heat it during winter. The unit brings air from outside and moves it inside using electricity. Since the units are ductless, they are one of the best heating systems for small houses. They can absorb heat from the ground, air or water. These systems work best in climates that maintain a temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit or more and have low humidity. Here are some top benefits of heat pumps.
- Energy efficient: These energy-efficient units reduce your monthly energy bill costs.
- Long-lasting: Heat pumps can last about 16 years, similar to furnaces and heating units.
- Complete HVAC system: With a heat pump, you don’t have to install a separate air conditioning unit.
3. Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner
PTACs are air conditioning units that you install under your window. They work best as a single-room heater and air conditioner, so they’re common in hotel rooms, offices and assisted living homes. Here are some of the advantages of PTAC systems.
- Independent: The units function singularly, making them perfect for heating and cooling small rooms.
- Quiet: These units are more discreet than most other systems, so they don’t disturb your sleep or work.
- Affordable: PTACs cost less than central air conditioning systems, especially if you need to condition multiple rooms individually.
- Energy efficient: They are more energy-efficient than window units, which helps you save money on your energy bill.
- Improves air quality: They filter the air coming from outside.
- Ductless: You don’t have to install ductwork to set up PTACs.
- Easy to use: PTAC units are user-friendly and intuitive.
4. Window Units
Window air conditioning units are an excellent option for cooling a small space. Since you install them in your window, they don’t take up additional room in your home or bedroom. Some benefits of window units include the following.
- Powerful airflow: MRCOOL U-Shaped Window A/C Units have no problem keeping your room cool. You can feel the cold air 20 feet away.
- Quiet operation: You can close the window on them, keeping the compressor sound outside and allowing for more silent operations.
- Easy installation: It only takes a few steps to install window units.
- Smart control: You can use an Android or iOS smart device, Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa to control the unit.
- Energy savings: MRCOOL U-Shaped Window A/C Units offer up to 35% more energy savings than a traditional A/C unit.
You can add more fans to your room instead of cranking up your air conditioner. MRCOOL MrBreeze oscillating fans can keep an entire room cool on a hot day while feeling like a natural breeze. Consider these benefits of MrBreeze.
- Bladeless: The fan doesn’t have any blades, making it safer.
- Quiet: Though this fan is powerful, you’ll barely hear it operating.
- Freshens air: It blows out odors while bringing in fresh air. MrBreeze is also an air purifier that captures and reduces allergens and pollutants.
- Easy maintenance: You only have to change the filter to maintain the unit.
Tips to Heat and Cool Your Room
Savvy homeowners use several methods to maintain the temperature in their space and increase energy efficiency. Check out these tips on heating and cooling a small room or home.
Here are some ways to keep your area warm.
- Reverse the ceiling fan direction: If you switch the direction your ceiling fan spins in winter, it will push warm air to the ground.
- Draft stoppers: Draft stoppers prevent cold air from entering your room under a window or door.
- Seal gaps: Small gaps can cause drafts that make your room feel cold. Use expanding foam to seal cracks in your walls and around plumbing to decrease air loss. You can use caulk or a window insulator kit to seal your windows and remove drafts.
Try these tricks to keep your area cool.
- Close your curtains during the day: When you leave your curtains open, you allow natural light to pour into your room. Keeping them closed prevents the sun from overheating your space.
- Open your windows at night: You can enjoy the breeze overnight. A cooler room will help you settle in for a more restful night’s sleep.
- Place ice in front of a fan: The fan will blow the cold air from the ice around the room.
Contact MRCOOL to Find the Right Heating and Cooling System for You
MRCOOL products use cutting-edge technology and designs to efficiently heat and cool any room or home. We manufacture technology with all the features and options necessary to meet your needs. Our high-quality products allow for comfort made simple because they’re affordable, easy to install and can save you money on your energy bills. Find a dealer near you to purchase our products, or contact us today to become a reseller.